Friday, February 22, 2013

Pushing FIFTY...[away]

I had an idea (surprise surprise).  It came to me while I was thinking of writing about my birthday.  I'm going to try something called "Flashback Friday" where I share an old layout or photos with you on Fridays.  We'll see where that goes....
Me at 6 months

Tomorrow I turn 50.  Gulp.  What does that mean for me?  I've had a whole year to think about it and have decided to share 5 "I will's" and 5 "I won'ts" for when I am 50.  But it won't be easy....because I've forgotten and lost most of the lists I made for this post.  Ironic. Ha!


Grade 1
When I'm 50, I will not...

.... wear polyester pants with an elastic waist (but they do look kinda comfy)

....tell everyone that "50 is the new 30" (because it is NOT)

....let my muffin top grow into a banana loaf (thanks to Monica for that one!)

....hold back my opinions (just to be nice)

....worry about growing older (tough one)

Grade 2
  When I am 50, I will...

....eat less sugar (just a little less)

....write more (and finish my novel)

....make fewer excuses (and take more risks)

....challenge myself artistically (without fear)

....stay on top of the laundry (ok, who am I kidding?)
Grade 4
I've also decided to set a goal of making layouts just for myself with very little planning.  eeeek. And I hope to make a layout for all of my upcoming birthdays in the future.

I used a sketch for a blog hop I'm participating in next week and will post it then.


With one piece of leftover Glitz Design paper, a couple of scraps from the same "Hello Friend" collection and a package of random embellishments "TM Exclusives", I designed this....


I know my face is hard to see, but I'm 10 years old in this photo, standing in my neighbour's backyard (4 decades ago. yikes) 

My mom and our neighbour (who had no children) decided to enter me into a Mother's Day contest at our local mall.  They dressed me up in this outfit, including a wig.  (I still have that wig in a box in the basement storage room) And I got to wear high heels!

I walked around the stage and smiled.  A LOT. And I WON first prize.  

We were all shocked and thrilled, and I was SO excited because the first prize was a 2-wheeler big bike!  It had hand brakes, which was a HUGE deal for me.  Wow.  High tech in those days. ha ha!

It was the first and last contest we entered, but it was the BEST.

Thanks Mom.  This is a memory I will always treasure.

17 comments:

  1. Fabulous layout, great ideas on turning fifty (not too far behind you) and fun story1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Birthday to you my dear sweet friend!!! You are FABULOUS at Fity and don't you forget it!!!Hilarious post Kelly...you always give me the giggles.I loved seeing all those old photos of you....I can even see you in your baby pic!!!!and I don't care how bloody comfy they look...walk away from those pants!lol Have a great birthday ! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome and yes you are fabulous at 50 hehe :) I too will be there in 2 months eeek LOL....can we at least say its the new 40? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post Kelly. Just fantastic share! Happy birthday soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love reading your posts and i thing you are FAB at fifty! Love your layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post! I hope you mean't 40 years not decades ago, LOL! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, that's great! You are a winner! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how fun! O love the idea of the flashbacks. The LO is awesome and the picture on it is great. BTW I always tell people my age, 43 next month, because I feel like I have earned every one of those years. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly, thanks for this for this fun read this morning (morning in my corner of the world anyway). So fun to read those fun memories. I passed 50 LONG ago...so don't worry, life goes on.
    blessings on the next 50!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! This is a great idea, and a beautiful layout. I love that you are doing birthday layouts for yourself. I think its awesome that you have a mom who was such an awesome memory keeper and now you continue with the tradition. Can you imagine how cool these pages are going to be for your kids and future grandkids one day! Not to mention you do it with STYLE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA Ha ha - loved reading this. You've put a smile on my face this morning!! And a big Happy Birthday to you! What a lovely layout you have created to preserve some very special moments in your life. Good luck with your "dos" for fifty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly this is beautiful!! My mom loves tea cups and she collects little shoe ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Kelly!! Hope your special day went just the way you'd hoped! Love how you're sharing your photo and then ending on your beautiful page! What a great memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Kelly.....I loved looking at your pics (those glasses were fab girl). Kudos to you for embracing this time in your life. I am also reaching a milestone next week (40 haha). Hope you had a great day....and that laundry thing is never gonna happen.....just sayin' lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this blog post. Your layout is simply stunning. I haven't reached the big "50" yet but it's getting really really close for me! I certainly never would have thought you were 50 so I feel safe in saying that you don't look 50, don't feel 50, don't act 50, therefore you're not 50! haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday my dear sweet, beautiful and crazy talented friend. Loved all the pics of you through the years. I'm a bit belated....but congrats on the contest win! That was some outfit. :) Me? I can't wait to turn 50 so I CAN wear those polyester pants with the elastic waist. Yeah, baby!

    ReplyDelete