Friday, December 2, 2011

I "Adore" My Mind's Eye

I tend to jump around a bit and use a variety of paper collections in the vast world of scrapbooking.  But lately I've been gravitating towards My Mind's Eye, the Lost & Found collections.

The papers are so versatile...elegant, classic, yet can suit almost any type of photo...

...even a photo of a teenager!  And that ranks high with me :)

Here is a layout I taught as a class at The Urban Scrapbook last month, created with the beautiful My Mind's Eye "Sunshine" collection.  This gorgeous distressed Prima wood frame was included in the class kit.
I "Adore" my daughter!
Here sits the lovely DramaQueen (DQ) ...and I snapped this during my annual fall photo shoot with the kids in front of our house in October.  Miraculously, she approved ONE photo from the many many that I shot.  And this was it!

I should add that this is probably the only photo she has given me permission to scrapbook in the past six months.

The feature technique for this layout is working with canvas, mainly the Prima Resistant Canvas (the clock, bird, foliage, and corner scrolls).  I coloured them in two ways:  Distress Stain and Distress Ink. (If you're not familiar with Prima Resistant canvas, they are sold in packages, and all these pieces and MORE came in one package! This particular set is called "Printery"...but there are about 5 other sets)
Here are some of the individual pieces out of the Printery set...a little hard to see the white embossed details on them.
A closer look...the butterfly is so beautiful with an embossed resistant script on it.

The tree trunk and branches are cut from Sticky Back canvas (Claudine Hellmuth) ....

 These pieces are inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, embossed, then inked again and backed onto chipboard.   I wrapped the tree in black tulle as well.
Canvas pieces on left are then attached to identical chipboard tree on right.
 The tree and branches are in pieces because I wanted to emboss them at the same time in the embossing folder (which is called "Burlap" by Tim Holtz).

 Here are some more close ups and details...
I handmade the spiral roses.  Just cut a small circle into a spiral, from the outside in, and roll around a skewer.
 The white details on the bird and clock are the "resist"....they will remain white when you ink the canvas.

The bird is painted with Broken China Distress ink.  This is a technique often used by Tim Holtz and Jennifer McGuire. Stamp the ink pad onto a piece of plastic or your splat mat and mist with water.  It becomes a watercolour.....then I painted the canvas bird with a fine tipped paint brush.  The legs and beak are painted with Frayed Burlap Distress ink.  Keep in mind that the watercolour bleeds...and will spread easily, so take care in painting the ink colour where you want it.

The canvas clock is altered with Vintage Photo Distress Stain.  The stains are a more concentrated colour and you just rub them onto the canvas pieces directly.
This corner flourish originally was white!
I coloured this canvas corner flourish with Black Soot Distress Stain.  Now, I should tell you that all these canvas pieces are adhesive backed....however, I learned that when I stained and inked them, the adhesive backing wasn't easily removed.  So I left the backing on and just adhered them to my layout with Fabri-Tac (a fast-drying liquid adhesive).

Leaves and foliage ....with some gold Stickles.
I coloured the flower/foliage canvas piece by painting it (the watercolour method described above) with Vintage Photo Distress Stain.

The dark brown polka dot leaves are coloured with Vintage Photo Distress Stain....see the difference?  Same colour...different application. 

The second technique I used on this layout are the tulle and wire elements:  the flower and the knotted border.  Super easy!

I discovered this tulle flower in a book called "Scrapbook Workshop"(edited by May Flaum) which was just published, and features a number of fantastic techniques by some very talented crafters.


This tulle flower is the handiwork of Iris Babao Uy...she is an artistic genius!
Tulle flower close up....with wire and beads centre.
 Simply gather about four pieces of tulle, 3 inches long and bind them in the middle with a piece of wire.  Leave one end of the wire longer for the front of the flower to make the beaded centre.  Add a few beads, bend the wire, add a few more, bend the wire...and so on.  Then fluff out the tulle into a round flower shape.
Knotted tulle and wire border.
The knotted border is also really simple to make.  Take any length of tulle (mine was about 12 inches) and tie it into knots at 2 inch intervals.  Then wrap small pieces of wire around the knots, securing the wire behind the knot.  When I tied the knots, I left the tulle in between the knots a little loose, not pulled tightly.
These leaves/branches are cut with a Sizzix die and inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
Some of you might know that I have a thing for trees.  This is one of my favourites I've designed....with the textured canvas trunk and branches....and I love the leaves cut from the MME music sheet paper.

GIVEAWAY!!!!!!!
Because I ADORE all of you and your comments, I'm offering my 3rd GIVEAWAY....in the spirit of giving during this wonderful Christmas season.  If your name is drawn, you will receive a kit that has everything I used to make this layout (The frame, stains and inks are not included).

To be eligible to win, become a Follower and leave a comment.......the winner will be announced next week!








32 comments:

  1. I love this layout! I had such a blast trying to re-create this masterpiece. Your so talented my friend! I hope there are more classes to come at Urban..count me in. Everyone I show this project says "oh my you are so talented" and I have to say..."no Kelly is the talented one", this was her idea. So thanks and you know I'm already a fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m a follewer, I will make comment and just wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love this lo! So many fun new things to try! Your daughter is beautiful! Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this project so much that I'm making one myself! LOL! I'm still working on it though and I need to find the perfect photo to put in it. It's truly a gorgeous creation! I just love that resist canvas. I had to buy extras to have around for other projects! I sure hope that they come out with more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried to leave a comment several different ways and the only way it would take is as Anonymous? (Cricut OCD on Scrapbook.com) Anyway if there is a trick please let me know. My Google account says I don't have authority to post to this account? Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter is very pretty just like you! Like the corner folded back exposing the beautiful scroll! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes she is a beauty :) I had to pop over and look at that tree some more. This is really gorgeous Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly, another gorgeous page! Those prima canvas shapes are yummy and thank you so much for taking the time to do the tutorials:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the tulle flower that you made and all the embellies!! Great lo, Kelly!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adore this layout Kelly!!! the design, the details...everything is complete perfection! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful photo and the layout is outstanding. Love all the gorgeous details. I love the canvas resist pieces and the tulle flower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly, this is gorgeous! Your daughter is beautiful! Thank you so much for your instruction on the techniques. I am so excited to try this. I love learning new things and there are so many really pretty embellishments here, I can't wait to try. First things first... gotta finish my Christmas cards!
    --CookieGranny on scrapbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool! I LOVE how you show all the details! this and that... tule&wire are favourites this time, very inventive: a mix of tenderness and hardness.
    great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful LO ! I'm more of a cardie than a scrapper, but I can see applications that could be used in my cards. Love the vintagey look, and then a pop of color here and there !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Sunday morning, Kelly. Your layout is so amazing. Love the vintage look. You have an incredible way of working with papers and textures. Great tree trunk. Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower. patnbobcuddy at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is technique Heaven Kelly!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to describe the process for this masterpiece! I can see why your daughter loves this pic, she's beautiful! I can't believe you're giving all of this away, what a bonus! You're too good to us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this page. I would love to win this giveaway. I know what you mean about teens not wanting their picture taken.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous scrapbook page! Every detail is perfect! It certainlky would be awesome to win the stuff to recreate it!
    Kindest regards,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that layout!! The turned back corner is really beautiful! So many interesting elements are in this LO! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. beautiful love it hope I win

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks just amazing Kelly!!! beautiful page for a beautiful girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kelly, what can I say another gorgeous creation, I love the tree and flowers the most, take care, Doreen x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the close ups. The spiral roses are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your DD gets more beautiful all the time. Love the colors and I can see why you're attracted to this collection. I saw those Prima frames they really look great, just perfect for this page and what an awesome thing to have in a kit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is a wonderful layout. one of my favorite color combinations. your creativity has challenged me ever since i started to follow your blog. keep up your fabulous work. thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun layout...my 15 year old cousin would love this too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your creations!!! I'm glad your daughter found at least 1 photo...it is a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely gorgeous frame Kelly...glad DQ consented to you using this beautiful photo of her! Lots of fabulous details here Kelly...and your tuts are wonderful...I'll be giving this a try!
    PS Pick me Pick me PUHLEEZEEEEEE :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love this project! I also have a thing for trees!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just became a follower!! You are one talented lady, I love what you do with all the dies, etc. This framed piece is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hiii!! I'm follower now!! Loveee this project!! So beautiful all the details, and the papers!!! Thanks for sharing and for the oportunity to win!!! Love project!!! Hugs... Maggy :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is perfectly fabulous in every way. Couldn't love this more. And how wonderful of the DQ to approve! I love all your techniques. Terrific LO.

    ReplyDelete