Sunday, August 14, 2011

Creative Cropping

For scrapbookers, there are two meanings of the word "crop".

1. A gathering of scrapbookers who enjoy each others' company while designing layouts.

2. Cutting a photo so it looks better.

I will be discussing number 2 and will attempt to explain how to cut your photo to make it more visually pleasing. You can "crop" with Photoshop, a trimmer, or even scissors.

You know there's a story behind this post, and it has to do with a recent mini weekend holiday my hubby and I enjoyed in July. 

We ditched the teenagers (if you're following my blog, you'll know why) and decided to spend a lovely 4 days, Friday to Monday, at our friends' new home on Lake Okanagan. (For my American friends, this is a gorgeous summer destination for lots of Albertans where it's hot hot hot and the drinks are cold cold cold.) Our friends live between Kelowna and Vernon in British Columbia.

Have you ever had a trip and felt it was just the most fabulous and even glamorous vacation experience? And then get home and your photos are disappointing and do nothing to prove that you looked great while you wined and dined?

Let me explain with some "creative cropping" and a couple of pics from our trip...

We had lunch on an amazing restaurant patio with a spectacular view of the vineyard and lake below....
YIKES!  All I can see when I look at this photo is that enormous ARM!!! Did someone inflate it?? The term "blow up doll" comes to mind.

Here's where cropping comes in handy....
The "Arm Liposuction" crop
Hmmmm...but there's a messy table with my camera bag.  Plus, I'm looking a little "top heavy". Let's improve this composition....
The "Breast Reduction" crop
If I want to highlight the dreamy landscape in the background, I could cut my photo like this
No inflatable arm detracting from this beautiful setting in the background
Just to prove that I am not a giantess with massive arms and breasts, here is a nicer photo that is not cropped at all.
In front of Gray Monk Vineyard Restaurant

Let's say your mini vacay did NOT go well.  You were angry with your husband and want to remember the trip without him in it....
The "Divorce" crop
Luckily, I did not have to perform the Divorce Crop because my hubby and I had the most wonderful time all weekend long.

And my final bit of cropping advice....don't overdo it.  Remember your photo might not be perfect but it always tells a story and captures that special moment in time....
Extreme Crop
The smile says it all :)

19 comments:

  1. That is so funny but very valuable information!!
    I love your story telling. Puts a smile on my face to start the day! Thx Kelly.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make me laugh, Kelly! Belly laugh!!!!! This is so much fun! TFS your sense of humor with us!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are soooo funny... still think we could make it on the road, just saying!! I received my goodies from you in the mail and just wanted to say thanks... I don't own anything Bo Bunny, do you believe that? Well I do now... thanks sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg! you Do crack me up girlfriend...arm liposuction indeed ! and gosh you guys are talllll.... that's it...I'm only bringing highheels with me...and I'll still probably look like a dwarf next to you LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me laugh out loud. You have a gift my dear, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love it Kelly! Sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this It 's so funny you make me laugh a lot looking what you did in croping those photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great post. Love the combination of humour & instruction! You are gorgeous before and after the "surgeries".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, cropping makes photos look better and/or focuses onte best part! Valuable info :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly...forgot to say that it looks like you had a great time with your special guy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So darn funny!! I have to remember this next vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Shirley (you have a great gift), and Sandra's funny comment LOL!! But it's true, you are gorgeous and hilarious chica ;) And don't feel bad - I could only wish to have your arms! Your blog is such a perfect mix of everything, so happy you are here now!!! And I have to apologize for not doing my part of the Sweet Blog Award you gave me (yet). Going to start dreaming stuff up right now LOL! TTYL

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun post! Where did you go (between Kelowna and Vernon?) I only ask because my Dad lived in Oyama for a million years (but recently moved to Vernon). It is 20 minutes between Kelowna and Vernon but so small that no one ever knows where it is... Is that where you visited? I love it out there - Wade and I talk about relocating ALL the time. I am sure you had an amazing mini vacation. I love the wineries there - arent they beautiful?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny one!!! Waiting to see your LO's sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi beautiful gal,

    You have no idea how homesick these great travel pics are making this Okanagan raised girl right now! :) Looks like you a stellar time there, that's wonderful!

    Thank you very much for your lovely comment on my scrapbook blog this morning about my anniversary card. Visiting the Okanagan, you were hanging out precisely where my parents still live :)


    Big hugs & joyful weekend wishes,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG I'm cracking up! What a great post! Love your writing style and your projects too! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hee! You are much braver than me, sweetie, because I would have never posted the original with the errant arm, lol.

    Loved your post as I always do. You are such a terrific storyteller. Glad you got away from the munchkins for a little R and R.

    ReplyDelete