Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Driving Miss Daisy...Crazy

Honestly, I'm too old to be teaching my son how to drive.

For the past month, our 16-yr-old son, BG (BoyGenius), has been taking driving lessons.

Here's a "stealth" photo I sneaked while hiding inside our front door, like a contortionist, sticking my camera only out into the window area, praying I would get a decent shot.  Not bad, hey??

In "teen speak" this activity is called "LURKING".  Ex....I walk into our home office while teen daughter is on the computer..."MOM! Quit lurking!" I pass by my teen son laying on the couch to pick up the cushions from the floor while he is texting..."MOM! You're such a lurker!"  Their trendy vocabulary is soooo impressive. Like, I want to know what they are saying to their friends....NOT.  (Oh no! I'm starting to sound like THEM!)

Where was I?? Oh yeah, the driving lessons.

So after his first lesson, I realized he needed to practise.  And of course, my husband was out of town. Great.

I decided to be brave and be a good mommy and handed him the keys to my mini van.  Hey, maybe he would refuse to drive it because it is such an uncool vehicle.  No such luck.  Off we went.

I thought about packing an Emergency Kit, with some First Aid essentials:

Something to calm my nerves.

Something to restart my heart after it stops....when he doesn't.

And these special underwear...because even though he might not have an accident, there's a good chance that I will!

Well, I did not pack these essentials and lived to tell the tale.  Maybe I'll go finish off the Heineken in his bathroom cupboard instead.

9 comments:

  1. Too funny!! At least your prepared. My grandpa taught me to drive and when we started I needed to back out of the driveway and had it in drive instead of reverse...I almost ran over my grandma! He looked at me like I was trying to kill her...I'm really surprised he even taught me after that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that I am lurking your blog for more posts because this one is hilarious. Please keep your emergency kit handy - I have a feeling you are going to need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris says I'm creepin and since he drives like his Daddy (the photographer out to be the first at a scene) I tend to scream. "Stop", "Slow down", "I'm not paying your ticket". Honestly, I just want us to make it home alive. . . where I break out the White Zinfandel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!! The Heineken part cracked me up~~ Very cute post! Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. baaahaa...I feel your PAIN girlfriend!!!!Scott is going to drive me insane ...no pun intended haha. No doubt this is why driving schools were invented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha... you're too funny. I have a 13 year old son who is already too cool for everything. I'm dreading when he turns 16 and I being the genius that I am decided to have 4 children, so I still have to go through it 3 more times...what was I thinking...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL...I so can relate!! 3 teens in the house right now, 1 learning to drive now and the other this year. I often ask myself the same question as Melisa...what was I thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny. Not looking forward to the driving years. Or the "quit lurking" years either!

    ReplyDelete